Planning is well under way for our Dinghy Sailability for Term 4, 2019. We are preparing to offer 8 dinghy programs to Bass Coast Specialist School and Newhaven Primary School. We can’t wait until the weather improves and we can again go sailing in our special dinghies.
Two of our main events, usually held at the end of the year, will be postponed until February 2020. Several of our key organisers are not available for November and early December.
Golden Oldies and our Social Inclusion Day are now planned for the warmer weather next year.
The Kids Fun Regatta will be held just after Christmas Day. We will provide an event where our young sailors can enjoy an intensive sailing program. It will be an opportunity to further develop sailing skills started by sailing our special Sailability Dinghies. Families will be encouraged to participate as we will require a parent to accompany their children.
The dates for the Fun Regatta are Saturday 28th, Sunday 29th and Monday 30th of December 2019. Entry into the Fun Regatta will be available to participants of the Sailability Program, and grandkids and children of members and their friends. We will use the Sailability Dinghies and Club Dinghies, and we hope other participants will bring their own sailing dinghies.
This event is being developed through the Boating Subcommittee. We are keen to have ideas and input from other members. It will be an opportunity to contribute and enjoy participating in this activity; I am keen to have and suggestions and offers of assistance for this new event.
Kids Fishing in the Marina is planned for Saturday 4th January 2020. Usually we have our experienced ‘fishos’ teach us how to rig and bait our fishing rods. This year we are planning just as much fun and wanting to take families out to fish from boats. Please let me know if you are able to contribute to this event by offering your boat. Thank you.
It is mandatory for adults interacting with children – as we do in our Sailability Programs and the events described above – to have a Working With Children Check. It is a fairly easy process if you follow these steps:
1. Fill in the form found at
2. Register two aspects of identification e.g. Driver’s Licence, Medicare Card, etc.
3. The hardest question is the address of Newhaven Yacht Squadron:
– PO Box 309, San Remo 3925; Phone 03 5956 7515
4. Once this form is completed an email is sent to you with a barcode. Copy this barcode onto your smart phone.
5. Go to either Cowes or Wonthaggi Post Office and show them your barcode or a copy of your email plus the two identifications.
6. Your photo will be taken along with a check of your identification.
7. You will receive a slip from the post office as a receipt for your application
8. You will receive an email confirming your application for a WWC check.
9. It may take several weeks for them to do the check.
Please make the time to complete this task. If you have any concerns or questions about this, then please contact me.
We are always looking for more volunteers to run our Sailability Programs and Youth Events. Please contact me if you want further information and if you would like to contribute.
NYS Sailability Coordinator
Mobile: 0429 417 552 Email firstname.lastname@example.org